12 December 2010

krismas list. bah humbug.

Every year, my mother-in-law asks for a "wishlist" for Christmas gifts.

First thing on my list every year: don't want to make a wishlist.

This woman has been my mother-in-law for over ten years. I would prefer that if she wants to buy me a gift, she, oh, I don't know... puts a little of her own thought into it. I'm not 8 years old, waiting for Santa. I'm in my 30s. I have a job. If I want something, I will buy it or save up for it. I don't need people to buy me things.

Here is what I want. Mixed in with some things that I need:

A stockpot. I need to make large batches of chilis and stews and soups and freeze them. We spend too much money on food. I need to get practical.

Tupperware, or containers that can be put in the freezer.

Shoes and boots from John Fleuvog.

New exercise clothes.

Groceries.

A full time job with benefits instead of the part-time job with no benefits I currently have.

A full time job with benefits for my husband, instead of the no job he currently has.

Student loan payments.

Donations to Amnesty International, the Red Cross, local foodbanks, and local homeless shelters.

Postage stamps. If the woman paid any attention at all, she would know that I send a lot of mail.

Stationery.

A nice pen or maybe a few nice pens.

A deal between family members that we will not buy Christmas gifts for anyone older than 18, unless we really want to. Is it possible to have a Christmas without that sick feeling of obligation?

No comments:

Post a Comment